H6D100C_tethered

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagmar_L

Hello,
I am new user here - Hello to everyone :)
Today I picked up H6D100C - as trade in for my H5D40. I was waiting for it almost 3 months (Poland, Warsaw).
It was worth waiting :)

I needed  cmos to use tungsten lights in studio, bigger sensor for portraits and better live view.
I used to tether H5D to macbook pro 17" via fire wire.
A month ago I bought new Imac 5K, 64 GB RAM - knowing that USB3.0 will be necessary to connect H6D.

Today I am playing with Phocus 3.1 - and I can take pictures tethered, start live view and sharpen with +/-, but...
there are so many problems, that I do not know where to start...

First of all - I am on second battery now, after 1+ hour of testing. USB 3.0 will not power H6D like firewire did with H5D?
If it works only on battery - it is a pain :(

Phocus says, that camera name is "unknown-100c",
camera configuration does not recognize it at all - like it was not connected,
Phocus every few minutes freezes completely - so I have to restart Imac.
I tried the same on my Windows 7 computer with Phocus 3.1  - much more stable with H6D connected - although does not recognize camera properly too.

What is also not nice with Phocus on MAC (not Windows) and files from H5D and H6D?
When raw files are stored locally on HD - enlarging them to 100% works fine, but when I am trying to work on RAWs via gigabit network - enlarging up to 50% works, and after scrolling to 100% Imac and Macbook  - start loading bigger preview - and nothing responds - so hard reset :(

OK,
that are some of my problems -
can you help me with battery problem while tethered to USB 3.0? It should work like this?

firmware in camera: 1.10.0.3868

Dagmar

NickT

Hi Dagmar
Just so you know the H6D does not get any power over USB at the moment so it uses batteries only. Turning off wireless/bluetooth will help the batteries last longer until there is a firmware update allowing power over usb.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Dagmar_L

Thank you Nick for your response.
"H6D does get any power over USB at the moment(...)" - it is important - is it a little bug just now, or it is designed this way?

I called Hasselblad dealer today evening - I think the only solution for now will be buying DC Power Grip - but I would really like to avoid a mess with hanging cables...
One is just enough for me :)

Dagmar_L

Hmm,

Can anybody with H6D let me know if external powered hub, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VDVCQ84/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC33373

helps anyhow with powering tethered H6D?

bdp

Hi Dagmar,

A DC powergrip is what I am using now to power to H6D-50c. I only own two batteries.

Nothing you buy in the way of hubs etc will help - we have to wait for firmware from Hasselblad to allow the back and battery to be powered and charged form the USB cable. It's really annoying - I have been waiting since May when I got my H6.

Ben

Dagmar_L

Hi Ben,

I am looking at the USB cables that came with H6D - one is 2m long adapter male-female USB3 Deltaco USB3-1000 - it seems to be active, on female end there is a plug hole for DC power. But no power supply attached.
Second cable is 2m long USB 3 A to USB-C normal cable.
I can connect them together (4m long) - but with no additional power - so Phocus 3.1 seems to work with both 2m and 4m cable combinations. With the same problems - not recognizing camera properly (windows and mac).

Hmm - it is a pity, that there is no information how it should work.
I have also only 2 batteries and tomorrow first photosession using new camera - I am afraid a little :)

How long cables you have with DC grip?
Did you try powered hubs?

bdp

Hi Dagmar,

Yes, I tried a powered hub after that was suggested by my dealer, but it didn't supply power to the camera.

I currently use a Lindy 8m active extension cable from the computer to the Hasselblad 2m USB-C Cable. The USB-C cable was the only one that was supplied by Hasselblad. This combination works flawlessly - I never get connection problems.

I have the DC grip connected to a 3m extension cable plugged in to the nearest wall outlet. It's not ideal having two cables dragging around behind the camera, but the only solution at the moment.

Ben

michaelharvey

Hi all,

We have just received our new H6D and was hoping the list could help us out with some of the initial issues we are having.

1. Batteries last about an hour. This is due to the USB not powering the back / charging the camera while connected. Apparently a firmware upgrade?

2. When tethered, the camera back screen is constantly on showing the last shot? Can it be made to turn off?

3. Phocus 3.0.3 is very slow when capturing tethered on our slightly raging (SSD) iMac 27". Is it running normally for anyone?

4. Are the older batteries compatible with the new camera? They are half the power, so I guess would only last 30 minutes??

As ever, any help gratefully received.

Michael

NickT

Hi Michael!
Quote from: michaelharvey on November 15, 2016, 09:42:13 AM
Hi all,

We have just received our new H6D and was hoping the list could help us out with some of the initial issues we are having.

1. Batteries last about an hour. This is due to the USB not powering the back / charging the camera while connected. Apparently a firmware upgrade?

Yes this is coming but I wish they would hurry up! I know there are testing this. I'll keep nagging.

2. When tethered, the camera back screen is constantly on showing the last shot? Can it be made to turn off?

I'm sure this is an option somewhere, can't remember where exactly sorry!
3. Phocus 3.0.3 is very slow when capturing tethered on our slightly raging (SSD) iMac 27". Is it running normally for anyone?

Yes grab 3.1 it will be faster. Note there is an issue with Sierra and 3.1 on *some* machines. Check out thread on the subject here:

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=4686.0

4. Are the older batteries compatible with the new camera? They are half the power, so I guess would only last 30 minutes??

Yes and yes.

As ever, any help gratefully received.

Michael

You're most welcome.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

michaelharvey

Thanks Nick.
I'll hassle them from this end too.
Michael

Dagmar_L

Hi all,

Yesterday I was shooting H6D100 tethered to Imac with Phocus 3.1.1 . When it came to using live view with strobes in studio - I could not work at all. Switching to live view in Phocus showed muddy brown picture with nothing on it - I thought it was because of camera parameters set to ISO100, F11, 1/200s - using pilot lamps from Hensel lamps. I tried to change temporarily settings to ISO 1600, F3,5 , 1/8 s - nothing changed - I could not see anything, not possible to set focus on the camera.
Hmm - in Phocus 3.1 at least I could see anything + focus adjustment like in previous H5D (better than nothing).
Comparing to live view from Canon via Capture One - it is a mistake.

Any plans to make Live view in Phocus  possible to nowadays standards?
And again - when powering camera over USB will be possible?

Dagmar

Buddy

Hi Dagmar,
I had the same experience with tethered shooting yesterday with H6D-100c. You must enable the little tick right up the image on the screen, allowing auto exposure. this will make your preview image bright and seeable. Afterwards (e.g. after focus adjusting), you click end of live view, mirror up and release.
hope that helps.
Btw, at first (my experience) the focus + and - did not work, but later these worked flawless all of a sudden.
juerg

Roger Méndez

Hi all,

Just received the H6D100c and no way to find the camera on phocus. I can shoot the camera but the camera doesn't apeare. As I can't find the camera I can't download images from the camera. I'm using Mac with Sierra and Phocus 3.1.1. Is there any solution on phocus or must download images from a card reader?

Buddy

I am using OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan with Phocus 3.1.1. and tethering with H6D-100c is working just fine.

Dagmar_L

Hello,

Is it possible to use power for digital back only instead of using Power Grip DC (H6D tethered)??

I watched this film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3h5kT2Rzo

and on 0:49 sec. it is clearly visible that H6D is connected to external power this way.

What should be parameters of DC power through such cable?

ehh, much better would be to have new firmware with USB power possibility and usable live view using Phocus ... :(