New PC build for photo and video - what do you think of the spec?

Previous topic - Next topic

DenisM

I am looking at building a new desktop PC for photo and video editing.

Here is a spec I am considering.

Any feedback appreciated.

I want any software to run in the blink of an eye, and this should do that for me.

While the choice of most components is fairly clear cut, I find the choice in Graphic Cards mind-boggling.  ::)

Any views on my choice of card, in particular, appreciated.

Also, any views in terms of numbers of USB connections etc. appreciated also.

Thanks.

D.

Alex

DenisM

Thanks for the reply.

Based on tests viewed on Tom's Hardware I have created a new custom build.

Yes, it's more expensive, but it's an awful lot of computer for about €1400 when you knock off the VAT.

Higher wattage PSU also, in addition to better SSD and (I hope) MB.

What do you think?

Thanks.

D.

Alex

Thanks for the link, that'll be v. helpful when it comes to upgrading mine.

Build looks good - gigabyte boards are always easy to work with - only thing I'd change would be a water cooler on your CPU - something like a Corsair - you can then hammer it a lot more 24/7!

A

Hassilistic

HI, I have a similar Processor, and similar platform Z170 motherboard. So I won't tell you what to buy, but I'll highlight what is not there:

- You are not taking advantage of the SLI capabilities specially with your current Graphic Card choice, which does not support  SLI (so no future upgrade there), nor the CROSSFIRE SUPPORT by your motherboard.

- You're under powered in both RAM clock speed, better off in the 3200 range and above.
- And You're under powered with the power supply unit, though maybe sufficient at the moment, but not when it comes to future upgrades .
- Best part is missing!  That processor is made for overclocking. No sign of that happening here!

Remember, Importing 200+ Hasselblad files, and exporting after conversion, re-importing again into your editor app, stitching, layering, this is all taxing on the PC with all those large files, getting larger every time you do something to them.

All in all, you have a great setup potential there.
Good luck,

DenisM

Thanks for the reply.

I've made changes to the PSU, Optical Drive and RAM.

I don't feel the need for overclocking.

Changes are here.

Any views on the case?

Thanks again.

D.

Hassilistic

I noticed the new graphic card, which with a core speed of 1.6 . (personally I need over clocking when I am editing and putting together my timelapse)

Tower in ATX Full size means it is usually out of sight, under table or something like that, so make sure you have plenty of easy access, via sliding doors, front panel USB's (so you don't have to reach over to the back).  I got the CoolerMaster Stryker because of the SSD dock which I love, and the massive expansion. Also for the liquid cooling. If you plan on keeping it table top, I suggest Midsize ATX, many are loaded with even better features and expansions and cost less, just make sure the graphic card fits.

Ram's up, and so is power supply, looking better already.
Enjoy

DenisM

Ok.

Black Friday is getting close. Time to finalize spec...!

Hassilistic, is this the case you chose? https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZjTmP6/cooler-master-case-sgc5000wkwn1

Mine will be on the floor, under my desk, so full size is fine.

Thanks.

D.

Hassilistic

DenisM

Now in the middle of buying the computer parts.

What motherboard did you buy? I can't make up my mind!

Thanks.

D.