Upgradability of older lenses to 1/2000 shutters?

Previous topic - Next topic

bernardl

Hi NickT and team,

Do we now have more clarity on the possibility to upgrade older lenses to the new 1/2000s shutter?

- whether the upgraded lenses will be performing identically to new orange mark lenses?
- what the price of the upgrade would be?
- when such upgrades could be performed?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Buddy

according to my dealer and having him investigated at Hasselblad Sweden an upgrade for the new shutter is not offered by Hasselblad. Even if it were it would probably not be practical and expensive to do so; the price difference between the new lens and the same older lens at the dealer's price is between €700 and €1500 for an unused lens. So just sell your lenses which needs the new shutter and buy the new one (probably the wide angle lenses for landscape etc do not need such a fast shutter; the portrait lenses do though - that is what I gonna do).

check the prices for new and older shutter lens (unused new lenses):
https://www.fotopartner.de/hasselblad/hasselblad-h-system/h-system-objektive/][url]https://www.fotopartner.de/hasselblad/hasselblad-h-system/h-system-objektive/[/url]

bernardl

Thanks Buddy.

This is disapointing. This upgrade option would have made the second hand market a lot more appealing.

Agreed that the new shutter adds little for wider lenses.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ralf Mueller

Hi,

i was at a Hasselblad event today hosted by my dealer. The HB rep mentioned there is no upgrade program for older lenses
to support the 1/2000 shutter speed. However, if the shutter of an existing lens is damaged and must be replaced by HB, they
will replace it with the new shutter. Seems they are not building the old ones anymore.

My beloved HC 2.2/100 broke last week, AF stopped working and shutter releases only randomly, that was my primary motivation for
the visit at my dealer. Lens is going to Sweden for repair, i will report here in case they replace the shutter and if its a new one.

OFF TOPIC: I got the chance to try the H6D-100. OMG, this is just insane, the >100MB raw file aside the level of detail that comes
out of those images is just crazy. I don't need it but its nice to see innovation and improvement in that area from HB nevertheless.

OFF TOPIC II: The HB rep confirmed there will be a new CFV50c soon with the existing 50 MP CMOS sensor and touch display plus
other enhancements.

Have a good weekend,
Ralf

Ralf Mueller

Update: HC 100mm lens is working again, glad it was "just" the AF motor and not the shutter. Also means i can't confirm whether they would have upgraded to the new, 1/2000th support, shutter. My dealer told me again that broken shutters of existing lenses will be replaced by new ones that support 1/2000th shutter speed and the old shutters no longer being manufactured. So lets wait for the next shutter to go south...
Regards,
Ralf

bgateb

Quote from: Ralf Mueller on March 14, 2017, 02:10:42 AM
Update: HC 100mm lens is working again, glad it was "just" the AF motor and not the shutter. Also means i can't confirm whether they would have upgraded to the new, 1/2000th support, shutter. My dealer told me again that broken shutters of existing lenses will be replaced by new ones that support 1/2000th shutter speed and the old shutters no longer being manufactured. So lets wait for the next shutter to go south...
Regards,
Ralf

Any additional cost for the upgraded shutter on a failed shutter?

Wonder why they wouldn't offer an upgraded shutter to those that want it..

Ralf Mueller

A failed shutter is typically around 800 EUR here in Germany, no matter if its the old or new, see Service Charges list
over here: http://static.hasselblad.com/2016/06/Service-charges-1-6-2016.pdf

I guess HB doesn't want the upgrade of old lenses to new shutters, they want you to buy the new lenses for 3000EUR+ instead of
upgrading your old lens for 800EUR.

So maybe someone should open a business that damages shutters of old HC glass ;-)

Regards, Ralf

NickT

Quote from: bgateb on March 15, 2017, 06:47:04 PM

Apparently it's quite a complex/time consuming process so I think it's down to a lack of resources.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Miller

Quote from: Ralf Mueller on March 15, 2017, 10:01:03 PM
A failed shutter is typically around 800 EUR here in Germany, no matter if its the old or new, see Service Charges list
over here: http://static.hasselblad.com/2016/06/Service-charges-1-6-2016.pdf

I think you are mistaken. Look at the EU (exposure unit) replacement prices, starting at EUR 1.100,00. The price differences have to do with shutter sizes for the different lenses.
The prices used to be considerably lower. I have asked about the steep price increase, and was told it had to do with the new shutters. There was no old stock left, so they said.

Ralf Mueller

Yes you are right, its more expensive now. I do remember i paid around 800 few years ago for a shutter replacement of the HC 100, seems
prices have gone up since then. Having said that, I'd love to have the shutter upgraded at least for one of my lenses, the HC 100 and would
be willing to pay the 1100 or whatever it costs, still considerably cheaper than a new one. Well, maybe I'm "lucky" and the one of the HC 100
fails again (i have the third one in this lens, two within guarantee and one outside).

bgateb

Quote from: NickT on March 16, 2017, 11:25:10 AM
Quote from: bgateb on March 15, 2017, 06:47:04 PM

Apparently it's quite a complex/time consuming process so I think it's down to a lack of resources.

Hopefully with time, the prices come down a bit. From the previous posts it seems like no "old" shutter units/parts are available, and so only the new shutters are being made.

I remember reading some posts a while back when researching prior to buying into the H system, and thinking prices for service were reasonable -- it seems that there's been a very sharp and steep increase in service prices as of late.

bodtlaender

I would rather expect 1.500,- EUR for a shutter replacement.

The old price was for a refurb part, but there were too many problems with these, so only new parts are used now.

Bernd