crushed blacks/gamma – big problem

Previous topic - Next topic

raffa

I have this problem since always and it's a big one.
I see crushed blacks and darker gamma in Phocus, compared to viewing the same photo in Photoshop, or Preview, etc.
of course doing raw development with this situation is a bit difficult, even if I managed during time to develop a special "eye" as a workaround.
I'm attaching screenshots from inside Phocus and the same photo exported as jpg. please note these photos are neutral "as is" and not developed in any way, so there's no adjustment of levels, black, etc.

I'm using latest Phocus 3.0.3, OS X 10.11.6, an Eizo monitor for the viewer, and a Cinema Display for the thumbnails.
anyone else has the same problem? I think this is a big one and has to be fixed.

Roger Méndez

Hi Raffa, I have the same problem with the same items. There is a way to resolve the problem but not the best. I have this problem when I use the monitor profile when its been calibrated, but if you go to screen in panel preference and change the latest calibrated profile to the original profile this problem is resolved. I thought it was a match color problem but seeing that you are having the same problem as I have ti must be Phocus. Hope someone of Hasselblad cuold see this post and give us a solution to use the latest calibration.

raffa

hmmmm well maybe it's a solution but at the same time it's not a solution, since we can't properly see the right colors of the monitor  >:(
maybe NickT can push this through Hassy developers..

bdp

Yes, I had this problem and it is solved by un-checking the box marked 'reflect black levels in tone curve' or something like that when you make your Eizo profile in Colornavigator.

It's an option in the advanced options, just before you place the sensor on the monitor to start the calibration. Sorry i can't be more specific, only on my laptop at the moment and the Eizo is in my studio.

Ben

raffa

Quote from: bdp on September 08, 2016, 07:23:44 AM
Yes, I had this problem and it is solved by un-checking the box marked 'reflect black levels in tone curve' or something like that when you make your Eizo profile in Colornavigator.

It's an option in the advanced options, just before you place the sensor on the monitor to start the calibration. Sorry i can't be more specific, only on my laptop at the moment and the Eizo is in my studio.

Ben

OH GOD. THANK YOU!
I had to create a profile target from scratch, but it worked!
I'm happy that is not something related to Phocus... any idea about why that happened? and why that option would have made things differently?

NickT

I have the same setup, Eizo and iMac Ben is absolutely right.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

raffa

I just wished this was a common knowledge. I never read anything about this, even in other non-Hasselblad forums.
so I'm wondering, if this is common, then why it's switched on by default? I doubt EIZO is not aware of this...

JB

I reported this problem back on May 6th after v3 was made available. Haven't seen a solution (if it can be called one when other software works fine) to this until now. Hasselblad, what are you doing ;-(

bdp

I have seen this problem come and go for years. I really can't tell if it's Phocus, Colornavigator or OS X, but it seems whenever one of these three things gets an update is either fixes or breaks that problem with the blacks being clipped.

It's weird, because Phocus is meant to have very tight integration with Eizo monitors, so you'd think that between them they would have it sorted.

But at least there is a workaround.

Ben