In the Pursuit of perfection - ColorChecker Digital SG

Previous topic - Next topic

Hassilistic

Get the latest updates for ColorChecker Color Calibration Target :
http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=938&Action=Support&SoftwareID=1606&catid=28

The ColorChecker Digital SG target features an expanded color range that also includes the
24 patches found in the ColorChecker Classic target. You'll benefit from additional skin-tone reference colors that deliver greater accuracy and consistency over a wide variety of skin tones, and additional gray scale steps that provide accurate control of camera balance to maintain a neutral aspect, regardless of light source. Each of the 140 patches was chosen for its location in color space to expand the color gamut, so you can create profiles that capture the full capabilities of your digital camera and scanner

Thoughts On:

When Xrite of Munsell Labs created the ColorChecker, do you really think they were not aware that one was very expensive, while the other two were cheaper.  Each one product has a reason and purpose, when you purchase the cheaper product, you didn't out beat the industry, you've merely cheated yourself from obtaining the product best suited for your needs.

Many of you have probably seen it at the start up page of Phocus software, and a quick tip write up about it.  However, even at this Hasselblad forum, hardly 90% of the bloggers have ever seen the [Digital SG] in person, let alone used one before. 

Buyers have avoided it due to the fact that it is fairly expensive at $300.  But there is a reason to it, experts assume other experts know why they need it, therefore no need to recommend or explain.  While others are told to get a cheaper white balance target card which will suffice as Lightroom will do the rest.  Those with larger volume workflow are told to get the Colorcheker Passport, and use the plugin software to do the rest.

Now while Hasselblad comes pre-loaded with ICC profiles.  The fact remains that you use screens, printers, and 3rd part software editors that are all not Hasselblad, and therefore many applications attempt to over ride each other, all the while you are not aware of it happening.

Assuming all of you have already calibrated all your hardware & software with tools like Xrite and the like, and Thanks to Hasselblad Phocus software integrating this Color Calibration Tool in its work process, you no longer have to figure out how to use it, the Phocus App will Find Target, Measure, and Calibrate a reading for you automatically, and effortlessly.  All in matter of seconds in a single App without the use of plugins and the like.

You probably were told that this is used for Repro work only.  That is not true in the least bit.  What good is a Fashion shoot when for example the Clothes or Make up color tones comes out with a different shade to the original.  Ex. (Just last week I held a Versace Ladies Watch in my hand, and to my right was the Ad campaign for it, and sure enough the colors in the Ad are altered, contrasty and way too saturated here is a high resolution image and the link http://luxurymena.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/VERSACE-VANITAS-AED-5800.jpg  I couldn't believe that a high profile campaign such as versace gets this level of treatment.  To give you an idea, look at another picture of the same watches but with a completely different color shade for the middle one shown in the previous photo. Here (http://luxuryvolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/versace-womens-watch-jewelry.jpg)

The Digital SG is used by Photographers/Graphic Illustrators/ Broadcast TV/ and Publishers.  Product, Landscape, Portraiture, all require a caliber of sophistication befitting a Hasselblad Camera and workflow, which is why I would recommend you the ColorChecker Digital SG, I have had it for 7 years now, nothing out there comes close.  Mixed lighting situations, and light fall off intensity can all be worked out easily when needed.  Comparing with Color Swatches is more accurate.  When you export your files to PS or LR, you needn't do any calibration there at all, I personally find the result exaggerated specially in LR.

Its not all about White balance, learn and get the tools that aid you better, intelligently, and at par with your best equipment.

When I am low on resources I go used, but never get anything which is second tier or below.

Cheers,

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Hassilistic

My pleasure
If time permits , perhaps I'll make a series of it  ;)