H5D-40 / error 121:0 while im tethered

Previous topic - Next topic

nainmaslun

Hello everyone,

I just got a H5D-40, so Im brand new in MF cameras and Im loving it. The thing is while im tethered sometimes the camera stops shooting and launches an ID 121:0 error. As I know, these MF cameras have some issues sometimes so I just take the battery out and put it again and it starts to work without problem. After I restart the camera it shoots 2 or 3 images in black and then keeps working. The real problem is that this error happens while im shooting like 10 or 20 pictures without stopping. It doesn't happen while Im shooting a little bit slowly. My concern is because when you shoot in advertising or with people you have to shoot a little bit faster. I just want to know if this error is normal, what causes it, what to do, etc. The camera has the last firmware.

Please help. Thank you so much!

NickT

I haven't seen that error, i'll look it up tomorrow and see what it says. What machine are you tethering to?
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

nainmaslun

Quote from: NickT on August 08, 2016, 05:08:35 PM
I haven't seen that error, i'll look it up tomorrow and see what it says. What machine are you tethering to?
Hi NickT,

I was tethered to a Macbook Pro Retina 2,2Ghz and then I was tethered to an iMac. I thought it could be because I was shooting as fast as you can with the camera so I slowed down a little bit and it worked fine for a while until it showed up again. I hope it has nothing to do with the rate of shoots you do while you're shooting because it kinda sucks to be afraid of being shooting because it could appear the error again. By the way, both times I have been shooting with an 100mm HC.

Thank you for  your response.

NickT

That error code doesn't seem to mean much :(. Check that contacts between the back and body, also lens and body are clean. Can you replicate the issue untethered?

nainmaslun

Quote from: NickT on August 09, 2016, 12:39:02 PM
That error code doesn't seem to mean much :(. Check that contacts between the back and body, also lens and body are clean. Can you replicate the issue untethered?
This camera I bought it from Hasselblad Bron with not more than 2000 shots, it should be very clean. I have to shoot advertising tomorrow so I'll clean the contacts and try to shoot without tethering as fast as possible to discard if it's that. Should it have problems if I shoot a pic after pic in a "fast" rate? I mean I think it shouldn't, it's just the rate of shots the camera gives you.

Thank you Nick!

NickT

Yeah I have never seen a crash form shooting fast, (although I'm not a fast shooter) the camera will just say "busy" until the buffer clears. I'm going to ask someone at Hasselblad if they have come across this.

Tommy.S

I do not remember the error code, but I had similar symptoms on my H5D-40 when it (or better: the battery) was new. It appeared when the (new) battery was below 35%. The error disappeared after I had my battery used and recharged 3-4 times. With my second battery, I had exactlx the same issue which disappeared after 3-4 recharge cycles.

NickT

The batteries definitely take a few charge/discharge cycles to come up to full capacity.

nainmaslun

Hi guys!

I had test the camera a couple days, first working and today in a fashion shoot. I have some news with my beloved(?) H5D-40.

YERSTERDAY: I worked in a campaign in which I had some time between the shots so I went slower than always, I waited for the flashes to full charge and the image appear in the macbook screen. Everything worked well, the camera launched the error justo once so I think it might be because I overcharged the computer shooting too much. Now, I use a Macbook Pro Retina 2014 2.2ghz, 16gb RAM, no other programs open so it should work just fine. The bad news is that sometimes the camera didn't sync with the flashes, the images started to be underexposed (no flash sync), but at least didn't ruined everything and everybody was happy.

TODAY (here are the bad news): Today I shoot a fashion editorial just for test the camera in fashion. I don't know if you have the same problem but after shooting for a while the camera started to not sync with the flashes (again). I disconnected the camera from tethering and I had the same problem. I realized that the camera was a little hot so I decided to stop the shoots for a while and put something to cool the camera down. Then when I started to shoot again I made my thing, 20 o 30 pics and when I was ok with the model for change I shut down the camera and put some wind again to cool it down. The camera started to sync and everything worked perfectly until some point in which the camera started to be a little warm again and stop sync the flashes.

It really sucks to me because I change to Medium Format because I was not happy with the Canon or Nikon cameras and lenses, I wanted an upgrade in IQ and of course in my work, and it's not fare spending A LOT of money in this absolutely piece of beauty that doesn't works how it should. I mean, tomorrow I will go to work thinking that the camera is not going to work well again and I think it should stress everyone else just like it stresses me.

Please, HELP. I just want to know how to understand all of this. Thanks guys!

NickT

I have never come across a camera getting hot and not syncing. Saying that, electronics and heat... How are you syncing, wireless or wired?

nainmaslun

I work with Profoto. Yesterday I worked with D1 units and today I worked with 8a generator. Both times with my Profoto Air Remote (wireless). I know, it sounds weird the idea of not syncing because of the camera getting hot because it has nothing to do with it but it was the solution that i figured it out: shooting a little bit -> turning off for a couple minutes -> turning on and shoot a little bit -> turning off.

Im gonna post tomorrow some screenshots.

NickT

Ever get static shocks in your studio? Just a thought...

Hassilistic

Hi nainmaslun,
First things first, so we can advise you better and narrow down the possibilities, you need to run a checklist, starting with:
1- For your camera model, do you have latest firmware?  I believe its [3.3.3/2.6.5R]
To do that: On your Camera Grip LCD click Menu button>Settings>System Status
it should read Firmware for Body/Mag (if you are using film)/VF - ViewFinder/ and Lens.
2- Are you using Hasselblads Supplied Firewire or a commercial cable.  Because some commercial ones have been know to cause issues, see some of the topics discussed previously.
3- Are you using Compact Flash Cards with UDMA7, if so are they upto x1000. Don't use higher speeds just yet.  For your H5D-40 these are more than sufficient.  If not, go get a pair of 32 or 64GB Lexar, they are dirt cheap.
4- Is your laptop running Yosemite or ElCapitan.?  Like wise plenty of discussions in threads on both
5- Which Phocus version are you running.?
6- Remember not to shoot in temperatures approaching 40˚C.  And if you must as I was last week, hold a shade of it all the time to avoid direct sun light hitting it.

Awaiting your reply,
Good Luck

nainmaslun

Hi Hassilistic! Thank you so much for your dedicated questions. Im going to answer below:

- FIRMWARE: Body: 3.3.3.1.1.5 - Im going to upload a photo so you can see the full detail.
- CABLE: Im using the Hasselblad cable that comes with the camera.
- CF: I use a 32gb Lexar 1066X
- LAPTOP: Yes, I use El Capitan.
- PHOCUS VERSION: I use the 3.0.2. I think it's the latest one.
- Cº: In Chile is winter right now but I have been shooting in controlled weather, like 20ºC.

nainmaslun

Quote from: NickT on August 11, 2016, 06:06:31 PM
Ever get static shocks in your studio? Just a thought...
Mmm no I don't think so. In this studio are more photographers and they shoot without problems with Nikon, Canon and even Phase One.