Bracketing with 300mm lens

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveM

Has anyone tried bracketing exposures with the 300mm? This is a bouncy lens! I'm shooting on a H5D wi-fi with a 3050 Manfrotto / Bogen tripod. I've tried cable releases, capturing from IPad (not even touching the camera) weighing down the tripod center post and placing the strap of the ThinkTank camera bag over the top of the camera. I can not seem to get more than one exposure that aligns. Any suggestions or thoughts or anyone with successful methods?

As a sidenote F/11 and 16 are the best. This is a very nice lens.

NickT

I assume the mirror is locked up?

Not really an answer but Photoshop does a really good job of aligning layers...
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

SteveM

Yes, the mirror is up. The layers are really un-alignable, manually or otherwise. The project is definitely to be continued.

Thanks!

NickT

Please tell us more Steve, I'm curious to know where all the movement is coming from. When I tested multi-shot setups (really movement sensitive) I used to use a glass of water to monitor vibrations.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

desertdiver

In such applications I use a setup which supports lens and camera at the same time. RRS has a nice package (CB-YS-QR-Pkg) to do exactly this. Best of luck, Udo

Hassilistic

Hi SteveM,

Firstly, I'd say straight away you have a Tripod Head problem, it is not your tripod fault nor the lens.  Mind you that 30yr old iron tripod is not vibration friendly, but your issue here as you describe it is not vibration but rather alignment .... you have a tripod head stability issue.

Secondly, Are you using the Lens Mount collar, or Camera Body when placing on tripod head.? 

My own experience is I've always used it with a High Hat tripod like the Induro GIHH75CP, and a Gimbal Head like the Induro GHB2.  However for bracketing and precise work nothing beats a tripod gear head, I use the Induro PHQ3 PHQ Series 5-Way Panhead.  I know this sounds like an Induro commercial, but they carry the heaviest of loads of any maker out there at lesser prices. Though still expensive, I find them to be a great investment.

Good luck

Hassilistic

SteveM,

Further to my previous msg, I remembered something else that you said which leads me to these questions:
- You wouldn't happen to be using HDR blend in LR are you?
- When you say not aligning, are you talking about the second outline along the horizon?

If the answers to both are yes, then what you are experiencing is not Mis-Alignment, but rather a form of Sensor Blooming which LR particularly can not fix, you need to go to Photoshop, or use another more professional HDR blending software.

Add the fact you are using the CMOS sensor (still LR fault not Hasselblad) and that explains it.

If this is not the case, then let this be a cautionary tale of what not to do.

Hope this was helpful.
Cheers,

jhartman

You didn't say what your process was but if you open the files by 'Files > Scripts > Load Files into Stack...' and then check the 'Attempt to Automatically Align Source Images' box you will have perfect alignment every time - even if it's one pixel off.