Phocus 3 & .phos files

Previous topic - Next topic

pkr1979

Hi all,

Phocus seems to auto generate a .phos file next to all the TIFF-files I have imported to Phocus in the folder on my mac where I have the TIFF files located (I use Phocus to deal with scanned negatives from a 500C/M). This makes my folder structure pretty messy. Is this the way it is supposed to be? Or can this be avoided?

Cheers
Peter

NickT

Sounds like you are using Phocus to process Tiff files, i.e. using it in the way one would use photoshop... The .phos file contains the adjustments you have made to the Tiff because (as I understand it) the Tiff file isn't designed to hold that data in the way that a Raw file (such as a FFF) is.

A better workflow IMO would be use Photoshop to process your tiffs, or if you are using an Imacon/Hasselblad scanner, bring FFFs into Phocus and save out tiffs which is Phocus's intended use.

Hope that helps

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

pkr1979

Hi!

Thanks :-) Im not using an Imacon scanner so if I want to continue using Phocus (which I probably will, Im not changing a lot on the scanned negatives anyway) Im just gonna get used to the .phos file. But I appreciate very much the explanation. I had no idea. Its nice to know why. Thanks again :-)

Cheers
Peter