CF-22/528 MS invalid calibration error

Previous topic - Next topic

EH21

Hi All,
My CF-22 MS (528) recently started displaying an invalid calibration error both tethered and untethered.  It will go on to capture an image untethered but the files come through as all black and not readable by Phocus or Flexcolor and it will not operate tethered at all.    I've tried deleting the device folders in the application support directory and also updated the firmware from 2.65 to 2.70 all with no luck.   Fresh battery, different cables, etc.   This is the CF version so no image bank.   HBI wrote me that they might be able to retrieve the factory calibration file and reload it but odds are against it.  And they don't have parts to do anything more.  What about B23.dk?  Or does anyone know a trick to get the calibration file reloaded?  All this happened after I had a customer's 528c connected to the same computer though I doubt that could be the issue. 
Thanks for any help.
Eric

Chris Gahran

I use multiple CF-22MS backs with my computers without problems.  I'm on Macs.

I have not updated the Firmware in my backs beyond R265 because Corey Radlund reported Firmware R267 burned out his Rollei Control S units. He had no problems after reverting to R265 so I've stayed at R265.

I can only suggest you delete both Phocus and Flexcolor and then re-install. In Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences be sure to delete "dk.hasselblad.phocus.plist" and "dk.imacon.flexcolor.plist" along with any other Phocus or Flexcolor preferences you find.

Also under "Users>(your name)>Library>Application Support throw away the Flexcolor and Phocus folders.

WAIT: It may be prudent to not Trash these files but instead move all these files to another drive and unmount it before doing a re-install. At least in Phocus you will have a copy of your User Defined Settings which you can re-install later.

Re-install Phocus, launch it then connect your CF-22MS and see if it is recognized.

I don't think Jimmy at B23 can help you with repairs. He may have some suggestions to get the back working again. If you find any repair resources please let me know.

Chris

Chris Gahran

Eric,

It appears that B23 ApS is now offering servicing of the Ixpress and CF digital backs. Two years ago I had Jimmy at B23 replace the IR Filter in my CF-22MS and he did a fine job. At that time he told me he was not offering any further servicing of the older backs.

After visiting the B23 website (http://www.hasselbladrepair.com/en_US/service/digital-back/) it appears he has expanded his services greatly. He may help you get your 528 back up and running again.

Chris

EH21

B23 told me that only the factory in Sweden could make this repair unfortunately.  It's there now, but Paul at HB USA service didn't think they would be able to do it.  Still waiting to hear back - hopefully they will!  I love this back!

Chris Gahran

Eric,

It has been nearly three weeks since your post, is there any news regarding the repair of your CF-22MS you can share with us?

Chris

EH21

Hi Chris,
Yes, it did get repaired and I owe big thanks to Paul Claesson at Hasselbad / Bron USA service for going the extra mile for me.
From his e-mail:
This is the work performed:

Solution
CCD board replaced.

Sensor Clean and calibration:
The IR-filter which protects the sensor was removed. The position of the sensor was then measured and adjusted.
Sensor was cleaned and calibrated.
A test shot was made with the lens focus setting at infinity through an illuminated piece of opal glass, mounted in the filter thread of the lens. The unprocessed RAW-file was inspected on a monitor to ensure that that there was no residue of grease, fluid or dust on the sensor.
A new mounting seal and IR filter were fitted to the unit and full check, test and clean carried out.

And now I'm a happy guy!  Got it back last week and have already shot hundreds of frames. 
Regards,
Eric