Lens options for H6D. . .

Previous topic - Next topic

Charliefottoman

Hi I'm just making the move to an H6D on a limited budget. I'm a professional photographer working in three areas, products, lifestyle and editorial portraits.
As I have only limited Hasselblad H experience and I'm getting fairly stressed about my potential lens choice as I can't afford every lens I want/need now. 

My question is this, if initially you could only afford 2-3 prime lenses which ones would you choose? I guess for products I really need the 120 macro. . .

Any advice would be appreciated. . .

jerome_m

The 120 macro doubles as a portrait lens, if you don't mind its weight and relatively slow AF.
The 80mm is the cheapest lens in the line and quite useful. Comparatively small and light too.
For product photography, the HTS should be considered. Paired with the 80mm and a macro ring or (better) with the 50mm and its macro adapter, the HTS will allow tilt, which is extremely useful in product photography.

Charliefottoman

Thank you for the advice. . . the HTS is now on the list. I've been thinking of the 80 as a standard lens or the 100. How do they compare? I read the HC 2,2/100MM is one of the best optics. . .

Buddy

the sharpest and fastest lens for portraiture work is the HC 150 f/3.2. when buying used just make sure that it is the latest version marked "N". For products nothing beats the 120. For versatility the 35-90 is excellent.

Buddy

when i will get my H6D I will convert the 150, 35-90 and 80 with the new shutter for x-synching up to 1/2000 for sure!
not necessary with 120 and 28

NickT

The 80mm is a great lens super sharp. I use the 100mm 2.2 all the time for my food stuff. Second the recommendation on the HTS, expensive but very clever. I also like the 120MM Macro though it is a bit slow to focus.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

NickT

I have the 50-110 also, it is a huge lens. Tested the 35-90 and from memory it was slightly better than the older zoom.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jerome_m

I found the 100 and 80mm to be quite close in rendering, but I have not tested the 80mm for portraits. The 80mm is a lot cheaper. The 100mm has a further disadvantage if you buy the 120 macro that the two are quite close in focal length.

As to the 150 versus 150N: I was never able to find a difference between the two lenses. I would just buy the cheapest offer.

Hassilistic

Best bang for your buck HCD35-90mm with extension tubes if you can at least 1.  This lens will free you to do almost anything, super sharp, and versatile, great all rounder.  Made specifically with people like you in mind, as well as those that do not wish to carry more than one lens.

Keep in mind that it will not work with Macro lens, extender 1.7x & HTS, but you won't miss them if you get the extension tubes which will help you focus closer and magnify size if that is the sought of products you are talking about.

Cheers,

Charliefottoman

Hi Guys

Just a quick thank you for your advice.

Really appreciated. . . .