Vertical White Line in Phocus 3 when using Shadow Fill

Previous topic - Next topic

pflower

I haven't paid any attention at all to Phocus for some years - using Lightroom instead.  But with Phocus 3 having been released I have started to play with it.  Very amateurish use but one anomaly I have seen is that when using the Shadow Fill slider on underexposed images I get a vertical white line in the centre of the image.  This seems, from experiments, to be solely connected to the use of the Shadow Fill slider on images where, for example, the exposure has been to keep the sky from clipping and the foreground is underexposed.  In such images even a modest use of the Shadow Fill (say, for example, plus 20) produces a vertical white line in the centre of the image .  Using EV adjustments etc. does not. 

It doesn't affect the image since the line is not visible after exporting to a tiff.  After modifying the 3f file it is still visible and it is a bit disconcerting. 

I am using an H3d-39 on a new Retina iMac 5k with AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB graphics card.  Way back in my memory is the idea that these sensors are in fact 2 sensors joined together in the centre and this "join" might be what I am seeing.

As I say, I can export a tiff without this ruining the image but still....  Anyone got any ideas?

NickT

Just noticed this (briefly) the other day. Here's my (imperfect) understanding of what is going on. I believe you are right that there are two sensors joined together. Also I think sensors have defects where individual pies are not read out. There is a calibration file that (very effectively) calculates these errors out and I believe what you are seeing is a delay in these errors being calculated, presumably because shadow fill is hogging  resources temporarily.

Bottom line is that the errors do not appear in the processed file, so annoying but not a huge deal.

Does that help?
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano