About the Gallery

Previous topic - Next topic

NickT

Please post your very best images only, and not too many at once.

As the Gallery is publicly viewable we need to be careful with nudity/inappropriate material, I know it when I see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobellis_v._Ohio
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

BradP

Hi Nick.  I only recently discovered the gallery area and really enjoy looking over the pictures posted there.  Obviously there are great photographers here and it's great to have a place to see what they are doing.  A couple comments you or others might consider:

1. It wasn't obvious at least to me there was a gallery until I saw a link to it on a post on the main board and scratched my head wondering where the link went to.  Would it provide more visibility/access if it were listed as a topic on the main board?

2. I like the fact that it is visible only to members.  I think that encourages posting good pics with much less fear of piracy.  I may have missed something but it might be helpful to clarify that to encourage posting.

3. I like the fact that you recommend moderation in posting — "only your best images".

4.  A "like" button might be useful to provide more feedback to posters/viewers.  I also think it would be great to encourage discussion on images/techniques somehow since there seems very little. 

5. Doing all this probably would increase your storage requirements.  Sorry about that!

BradP

Whoops.  One more thing. 

6.  It's very easy to right click and download an image in the gallery.  There are ways I know (but don't know specifically) to protect against that.  I'm not bothered about that because it's a small file and I watermark my images, but making that difficult may be helpful.

NickT

Quote from: BradP on October 23, 2017, 09:55:05 AM
Hi Nick.  I only recently discovered the gallery area and really enjoy looking over the pictures posted there.  Obviously there are great photographers here and it's great to have a place to see what they are doing.  A couple comments you or others might consider:
1. It wasn't obvious at least to me there was a gallery until I saw a link to it on a post on the main board and scratched my head wondering where the link went to.  Would it provide more visibility/access if it were listed as a topic on the main board?
Great idea, I'll add a Gallery specific board.
2. I like the fact that it is visible only to members.  I think that encourages posting good pics with much less fear of piracy.  I may have missed something but it might be helpful to clarify that to encourage posting.
Will do!
3. I like the fact that you recommend moderation in posting — "only your best images".
The reason I recommended that is because lots of Hasselblad people check in here and you never know where a photo may lead...
4.  A "like" button might be useful to provide more feedback to posters/viewers.  I also think it would be great to encourage discussion on images/techniques somehow since there seems very little. 
Yes I agree, the gallery board is intended to be the place for discussion with links back to the gallery.
5. Doing all this probably would increase your storage requirements.  Sorry about that!

Probably! I should point out that this is not my day job... I work as a full time pro, managing family etc so I don't always have the time/resources/knowledge to modify the forum but I do my best to keep up.

NickT

Quote from: BradP on October 23, 2017, 04:49:43 PM
Whoops.  One more thing. 

6.  It's very easy to right click and download an image in the gallery.  There are ways I know (but don't know specifically) to protect against that.  I'm not bothered about that because it's a small file and I watermark my images, but making that difficult may be helpful.

I've had a quick look at this, seems I can install a mod that will disable right-clicking forum wide, not sure that's a good thing.

Worth noting that;
A. People can just screen shot if they want an image.
B. Only full members (who are screened) can see the images.
C. They are all super nice people and unlikely to steal images I think!

BradP

Great points.  My immediate thought is that disabling right clicking doesn't change a thing about how the site works, that's the often the first response from the little I've read, and open to thoughts on that. 

grahamhoey

Could somebody let me know how to size the image so that it fits in the gallery. It is not the size of the file, that was fine but the image zoomed to 100% or more when posted.

Thank you

Rori Zahr

Hi Graham, I was about to ask that same question as the forum lacks a post highlighting best ways to post images. Hope the moderator will do that.
On other forums similar to this one, pictures have to be resized to 1200 Px on the longer side in order to fit.
Quote from: grahamhoey on February 08, 2019, 12:56:51 PM
Could somebody let me know how to size the image so that it fits in the gallery. It is not the size of the file, that was fine but the image zoomed to 100% or more when posted.

Thank you