CF lens adapter

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerxnz

I have a series of V System lenses and I would like to use some of them with an H2. I have heard of the CF lens adapter and would like to know how practical and successful it is.

Two lenses I would like to use it with are the C 30mm and CF 250 lenses.

I have an IQ180 back.

I would appreciate your comments.
Roger

NickT

The CF adaptor works well, you don't get AF but you do get focus  confirmation. The process of re-cocking the lens shutter is a bit like winding film if you know what that's like...
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

desertdiver

The adapter slows down your workflow... but this isn't a bad thing for e.g. landscape photography. The adapter itself is very well made. I am using mine since a couple of years now to adapt some old Zeiss CFi/E lenses to my actual H-bodies without any issue.

Udo

stukiephoto

Quote from: desertdiver on April 25, 2016, 03:17:06 PM
The adapter slows down your workflow... but this isn't a bad thing for e.g. landscape photography. The adapter itself is very well made. I am using mine since a couple of years now to adapt some old Zeiss CFi/E lenses to my actual H-bodies without any issue.

Udo

Hi
Do you get many "lens cocking lever problem"  I just picked one up on ebay and acts up with different lenses and will work with my 120 CFi but will not cock all the way to view through it? I place back on my 555 and the lens works perfect ?

desertdiver

Quote from: stukiephoto on July 08, 2016, 10:10:32 AM
Hi
Do you get many "lens cocking lever problem"  I just picked one up on ebay and acts up with different lenses and will work with my 120 CFi but will not cock all the way to view through it? I place back on my 555 and the lens works perfect ?

I am sorry to hear that. Is there a chance to return the adapter?
Udo

stukiephoto

Discussing that with the seller currently.
I am going to my Hasselblad dealer for a inspection and we'll see! Was just checking to see if anyone had similar problems. The last documentation I could find was 2013 for the adapter and I'm shooting a H5D with the 50C.

Thanks

NickT

I wonder if it's the lens rather than the adaptor? Some of my old lenses got pretty stiff to wind I remember, you could really hear the difference with the 503CW winder having to work harder with some lenses..

stukiephoto

I checked all lens on my 503cx and 555 and they all work prefect?

Gearing in the adapter?- I'm leaning to....until then trying find some near Chicago to look at it.

Alastair Bird

My 120 Macro will, after being used quite a bit, exhibit the 'lens cocking lever problems'. I just re-cock the lever and it will go away for that frame. If I let it sit for a bit the problem goes way. Only seems to happen with my 120. My CF40 and CF50 are fine.

ChrisL

Not trying to resurrect an old thread but for completeness my CF adapter showed the same symptoms as the OP, worj=king well on some CF lenses (and C) not on others not cocking at all. It required a service, under dealer S/H warranty so no idea of cost, it now is flawless in operation.

stukiephoto

Just had my adapter returned from Hasselblad to calibrate and adjust ($388.00) and it works same as before, Not working with 120mm and 50mm lens. Contacted my Hasselblad rep and now the Hasselblad repair said my lens may out of tolerance and should be sent in. Both lenses work fine with Hasselblad 555ELD.

Michael H. Cothran

When I first bought my H4D in February, 2012, I also ordered the CF adapter for the same reason as you - to use all my existing Zeiss CF lenses. I used it for about 3 years before finally selling it on Ebay, as I had, by then, purchased used HC lenses to replace them.

I had continual problems with it locking up on me. Not that often, but I could expect it to lock up a couple of times during an afternoon shoot outside. I don't remember exactly what I would do to unlock it, but whatever it was, it was doable, so when it happened, I could correct it fairly easily.

Furthermore, I thought that the cocking mechanism was anything but smooth. Mounted on a tripod, I had to hold tight onto the camera with my right hand as I cocked the shutter with my left hand. Besides having a lot of resistance, it was also kind of jerky in motion.

But all that said, I'm glad I bought it, even though it was a hefty $1100 USD at the time. In fact, I'm kinda sorry I sold it, as well as my trusty CF lenses.

Now that I'm looking forward to a new X1D, I'm back in the same position again, intending to buy the XH adapter. At least it's a whole lot cheaper.

NickT

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on January 09, 2017, 04:34:58 PM

Now that I'm looking forward to a new X1D, I'm back in the same position again, intending to buy the XH adapter. At least it's a whole lot cheaper.
At least with the XH adaptor it's non-mechanical so you would see any of the issues you had with the CF adaptor.

desertdiver

Quote from: NickT on January 09, 2017, 05:28:46 PM

At least with the XH adaptor it's non-mechanical so you would see any of the issues you had with the CF adaptor.

I really hope Hasselblad added a tripod foot/collar to that adapter...

desertdiver

..... In fact, I'm kinda sorry I sold it, as well as my trusty CF lenses.

I did the same and felt very similar quite a while back ... and purchased the adapter again plus a few CFi lenses... no regrets here. Regards, Udo