New shutters up to 1/2000 ?

Previous topic - Next topic

bodtlaender

Hi,

is there any information about the 1/2000 feature?

Will the new lenses work with my old H3D with 1/2000 or will they only offer 1/2000 with an H6D?

When the shutter of one of my lenses needs a replacement will it be upgraded with the newer one and offers 1/2000 afterwards?

Thanks and best wishes,

Bernd

Alex

hasselblad.com is saying that the 1/2000th is with H6Ds (but they don't use the word 'only' after stating so it could be just to bias potential sales to the H6DCs rather than the existing H5DC (& older) which could also make use of the new top SS):

"..and incorporated a new shutter unit with an extended lifespan and an increased top shutter speed of 1/2000th second, when used with an H6D camera."

BTW they mention "..have also updated our entire range of H series lenses AND incorporated a new shutter unit" - which I'm guessing means other tweaks - I wonder what these could be - improved CA reduction etc?

All exiting stuff anyways  8)

jerome_m

The lenses are the same optically. The shutter has been exchanged and offers 1/2000 on the H6D only and 1/1000 on older cameras or when using film. You can have the older lenses upgraded.

mar-ko

Hi,

I talked to Hasselblad's R&D director the other day: the new lenses have a new shutter mechanism that can do ("only") 1/1000; this is the speed you will get using a new lens on an old body (like H5D).

The top speed of 1/2000 with the H6D is achieved by stopping sensor read out after 1/2000 (while the shutter will remain open for another 1/1000). That is what the older bodies technically can not do, so there is no possibility via a firmware upgrade to allow 1/2000 with the new lenses on the older bodies.

HTH Marko

DBF

Quote from: mar-ko on April 19, 2016, 09:16:25 AM

The top speed of 1/2000 with the H6D is achieved by stopping sensor read out after 1/2000 (while the shutter will remain open for another 1/1000).

Why is this not possible with the old Lenses?

NickT

It's confusing I know!

1/2000 is possible with an old lens as long as it has an upgraded shutter and is used on the H6D.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

DBF

Yes, it confuses me.
Can You explain, why it is not possible to make the Sensor stop reading after 1/2000 sec with any Lens. As I understand it, it doesnt matter, that the Shutter is open.

I like to upgrade from my H3DII 50 to H6D100.
The Price for that is clear and ok to me. But I first want to know, how to go on with my five "old" Lenses.
Upgrade them - and that will cost how much - i didn`t find any Information on that.
Having 1/2000 Shutter Speed is an important Reason for making the the Upgrade.
Buying all Lenses new is out of Discussion for me.

Buddy

I am thinking in the same ways, but would only upgrade those lenses which I would need a fast shutter of max. 1/2000 sec, i.e. the 150mm and 35-90mm, eventually also the 80mm for

- cut the light in outdoor shooting portraiture (in order to open the aperture)
- action freezing shots

I guess it doesn't make much sense to do the same for wide angles i.e. landscapes etc.

I would be also interested knowing the cost of changing to the new shutter

Buddy

interesting that they require a new shutter which goes up to 1/1000 sec mechanically and then up to 1/2000 sec electronically. That is probably just to beat the phase ones 1/1600 sec.
Alternatively, they could have offered a firmware upgrade (also for older H like H5D) for the existing shutters with max 1/800 to extend it electronically to 1/1600 sec. without any hardware changes. Too sad about this. Just marketing or other technical reasons?

DBF

I think, that with CCD Sensor the Readout is not possible in so short time.

It is very sad, that Hasselblad does not give Information on Lens Upgrade.
I called the Team in Ahrensburg/Germany. They said, it is maybe possible to make Lens Upgrade, but did not know.

For me it is only Hobby, but I expect Response to my Questions.

If I dont get that soon, Hasselblad will have been Phase Zero in my photographic Life and i will go on with Phase One.

First Test in my Home is on Monday!

Buddy

probably not with CCD, but I have the H5D-50c Wifi with the same CMOS as in the new H6D-50c

NickT

I'll see if I can find out more about how the higher speeds work.

As for getting the shutter replaced I believe the cost is the same as an exposure unit replacement:

http://www.hasselblad.com/support/repairs/cost-estimates-and-fixed-service-prices

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jerome_m

An educated guess would be that, for electronic cut-out to work, the shutter must communicate the exact time it opens back to the camera and old shutters cannot do that.

As to shutter replacement, the operation will be available in a few months, when Hasselblad will have enough stock of new shutters. They can't make them fast enough to fill the demand.

Buddy

It looks like that for most H lenses the new shutter design cost slightly more than around € 1'000 (net of VAT); only the 80mm and 120mm seem to be around € 600. I am still waiting for the offer from my dealer, but this site here lists already the new lenses and also the old ones to compare pricing:

https://www.fotopartner.de/hasselblad/hasselblad-h-system/h-system-objektive/

Anybody got direct upgrade pricing?

Bro

Hi all,

I try to make this crystal clear:

H5D (or older) + Old lens = 1/800 sec
H5D (or older) + New lens = 1/1000 sec
H6D + Old lens = 1/800 sec
H6D + New lens = 1/2000 sec

New lens is the "orange dot" lens with a new shutter unit.

// Bro