V to H upgrade.

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakesnlugging

I recently bought an H3D11-50 and 50 to110.

I am considering selling my (extensive) V kit, including a CFV 39 to finance a 28 and 210, or maybe 300.

However I wonder about the need for a backup, and sometimes use the V lenses on a Nikon as older manual lenses greatly simplify astro imaging. (Nothing to focus on, and extreme ISO helps).

My main interest is landscapes (which often involves walking many miles).  I'm happy with a body and 50 to 110, a lightweight tripod, and home machined balance bracket, but not sure how much extra weight I want to carry.  I used to carry crazy weights, but am not so young any more.

What have others done who have upgraded?

jerome_m

You know there is an adapter to use V lenses on the H cameras, right?

NickT

I sold my V stuff many years ago and went to H. I loved the V system but really couldn't see myself running two systems. I run and H4D40 with a 31 as backup and also a Nikon D800 and D810 when I want to be a bit more mobile.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Lakesnlugging

Thanks for your replies.

I know of the adapter, but have not had a chance to try one.

A lighter (and faster) camera, when necessary is certainly practical, but I really like the Blad's results.  There seems to be more than just resolution.  Perhaps I should do more planning, and where necessary repeating trips.

Hassilistic

Most definitely get the CF Adapter and maintain the Hassy look like you said.
You can rent http://www.csirentals.com/cameras-lenses/medium-format-digital/hasselblad-h/ or buy used simply by asking your local Hassy dealer to get you one (if you are in the states that is).

find our more here:
https://captureintegration.com/top-10-things-i-love-about-the-hasselblad-h-system/

Cheers

NickT

The CF adaptor is a great piece of kit, the process of re-cocking the lens is a bit like winding film if you remember what that was like!

Hassilistic

LOL... funny you should say that Nick.. I still find my thumb twitching every time I click the shutter on any of my digital cameras ;)
Its the same for me with cars and manual shift gearboxes, although my car is automatic now, but I find my right hand resting throughout the trip on the gearbox leaver and won't let go.

Old habits die hard!

Lakesnlugging

I just bought a CF adapter.  For quite a while I couldn't locate one in the UK, then two turned up at the same dealer.  Interestingly one would only work on the later V lenses.  I bought the other.   The possible option of a 140-280 is another reason for the adapter.

NickT

I used to own that zoom! Seem to remember it vignetted at some focal lengths (not an issue with a smaller chip).

Lakesnlugging

Would the vignetting be on the mirror, or on two and a quarter square film?  Is 49mm x 37mm ok?