120 Macro lens VS. 150 Macro DX lens

Previous topic - Next topic

68camaro

Hi All-

New here and looking into some new options. I do mainly closeup work and was wondering how the 120 Macro lens on a hasselblad system would compare  to a 150 Macro on a DX system in terms of height on a copy stand? I would assume use on a H5D-40 body. I am just trying to see if the height range is similar or even feasible for what I do, if that height is much great it would be hard for me to work with but I am very curious.

Thanks for any input.

Hassilistic

Hi, I am assuming as its the only one currently available that you are talking about the Sigma 150mm Macro 2.8 lens on a Nikon mount, mine is on a canon.  If so, I know that lens well enough to say nothing here changes from a focusing distance which is 15inch minimum for both.  Although the 150mm is a one stop brighter, for me it makes no difference hence I use studio flash heads.

However, if you are looking at working in a similar focal length space, then attach the Converter H1.7x.  You will lose auto focus and 1.5 stop. 

Personally, I use HTS1.5 with my lenses plus extension tubes and a macro converter..  You are able to do more and the combinations are almost limitless plus the results will freak you out (in a good way) everytime.

Hope that helped.
Good luck

jerome_m

The prediction is going to be very difficult without actually testing the lenses, because the focal length varies considerably with the focus distance with this kind of lens. If you tell me what is the size (1) of the object that fills your frame vertically on your 150mm lens, I can focus on a same size object with a HC120 and tell you the distance between the camera and the object.

(1) That size needs to be larger than 33mm.

68camaro

Thank you for the info so far.

Everything I shoot is on a copy stand so lighting is not a big issue, for me the issue is more of the difference in height to shoot similar items with the new body and lens. I never autofocus.

If possible can you shoot a 52mm item? When I shoot such an item I am currently 27 inches from the item. The item is flat on the stand, maybe 1/4 inch high.

Good to know about the H1.7x converter if that help keep the focal length similar.

One of my big challenges is I need to shoot an item just about 3 1/4 inches and keep it on my copy stand, 36 inches tall.

jerome_m

If you want a 52mm item to fill the frame of an H4D-40 vertically (x1.3 sensor size), you will get the following distances to the item:
-front of 120mm lens: 17cm
-lens mount: 37cm
-tripod screw (small): 39cm
-tripod screw (large): 40cm
-rear of camera viewfinder: 50cm.

68camaro

Perfect information, Thanks!

Definitely looks like the 1.7x converter will be the way to go for me.