Back-up to Hasselblad

Previous topic - Next topic

giulioz

Hello,

apart from the Leica S, is there any other camera that can take through adapter my H lenses? I need a back-up to my H5D for when travelling to remote locations in case something happen, without obviously having to invest in a second Hasselblad body.

Thank you, Giulio

meshuggener

a spare H5X will be cheaper than a Leica S.
And they are the only to accept H lenses.
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

giulioz

Yes but about if the back fails instead ?

jerome_m

Then, a second hand H3D-31 would be much cheaper than a Leica S...

To your question: adapters for the H lenses need some electronic, since the aperture is controlled electrically, so don't hope for a cheap mechanical adapter ring. I think that the only adapter is the one made by Leica for the Leica S mount.

giulioz

Can for example an H2 take the back of my H5D?

jerome_m

Now, that is an interesting question.

The H2 will not work. The H2D may work, but probably not.
An H3D, H3DII or H4D may work, I think that the chances are rather high.

Why is the question so difficult to answer? Because Hasselblad says backs cannot be exchanged, but people who tried (me and a few others), found that the cameras work nevertheless: it seems that one can use any H3D, H3DII or H4D back on any H3D, H3DII or H4D camera.

So what do we know?

The H1 and H2 will not work with a digital back, they cannot provide power to a digital back. Besides, the protocol apparently has changed between film backs and digital backs, third party digital backs made for the H1 or H2 (and which, by necessity, emulate a film back) do not work on the H3D (which accepts film backs).

The H2D is a special case, it seems that the interface was still evolving at the time.

The H3D, H3DII or H4D appear to be interchangeable.

The H5D is the big unknown. Apparently it uses more power than the earlier backs, this is the reason for the new battery. I am not aware of anyone having tried the H5D backs on, say, an H4D body. It may work or not, the risk is that the body may not be able to send enough power to the back.

rsmphoto

Actually, I did just that, bought a used S2 as a back up body with H adapter for work in the Canadian north in the winter 3 years ago. The S2 and S are both seriously weather sealed so rain and sleet that I encountered didn't affect it at all. Not only did the adapter prove rock solid - AND I also had auto focus working with he HTS suddenly. Go figure.  In any case I found it to be the perfect back up, working tethered with LIS and LR4, then LR5 with no, I repeat no connection issues - much better than the H3DII-39. Of course it is USB 2 so a slight bit slower than FW800, but surprisingly close so as not to be an issue. IMHO a very viable alternative that's basically delivers a big M9 image.

R

meshuggener

AND I also had auto focus working with he HTS suddenly
That's what I've read once and you confirm it !
www.matantoniassi.com

jerome_m

I think you read it on luminous-landscape, Matias: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=86673.10, and in both cases the post is from Richard Mandelkorn (rsmphoto). I am not sure anyone else has tried the HTS on the Leica S  :)

meshuggener

www.matantoniassi.com

giulioz

In the end I got a cheap second hand H2D

jerome_m

And does it accept your H5D back?

giulioz

I don't know, haven't tried, it has its own back and accept all my lenses.