Lee 100mm Push-On Filter Holder

Previous topic - Next topic

cerett

Anyone using this filter holder with lenses that have a 95mm filter size?

raffa

I need help on this, as well.
which LEE model is fitting on the 35mm HC lens?
is there any combination guaranteed to not vignette?

Miller

Raffa,

I have used the normal Lee 100 mm filter holder. I reduced the number of filter slots to one, and added the ring for the polariser on top. Without the polariser there was no vignette; with the polariser attached there was a very small vignette, corners only. Mind you, this was with the 36x48 mm sensor.
I have since sold the 35 mm and bought the 28 mm. On the 28 there is always a vignette. I could never get myself to buy the push on holder, so I don't know how that would work out.

raffa

thank you Frans.
how do you attach the normal Lee holder on the HC 35mm?
I never found any 95mm adapter rings - do they exist?

Miller

There is a standard 95 mm adapter ring, see this page.
http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system

Because of the large diameter of both the 28 and the 35 mm a wide angle adapter would be useless, as the filter holder does not fit over the lens.

Buddy

i was told today from LEE support that the best current solution for the 24 and 28mm lens ist the push-on holder on the 100mm LEE system, but they did not make a statement of vignetting or not with this set-up.
They also mentioned that they are working on a 95 mm wide-angle adapter for the 100mm system (but again no statement on the vignetting issues) and also on a specific adapter system for the 150 mm system (this system is similar to the push-on holder and goes over the lens - not screwed into the 95mm thread). They are also working on 150mm system's smaller adapters for other lenses like Hasselblad's 67mm threaded lenses (e.g. 80mm, 120 mm etc.) which means that eventually one could buy into the 150 mm system and use this for the wide-angles but also for other lenses...if this is a good solution I don't know...

jerome_m

Quote from: Buddy on July 18, 2015, 02:47:56 AM
i was told today from LEE support that the best current solution for the 24 and 28mm lens ist the push-on holder on the 100mm LEE system, but they did not make a statement of vignetting or not with this set-up.

I don't think the push-on 100mm system will work for the 24mm. The 24mm needs 105 or 112 mm filters. Even if it has a 95mm thread, it comes with an adapter for 105 and 112 mm filters. It can only use the 95mm on the 1.3x sensors and even then needs slim ones.

Buddy

thanks for that information. Have you actually tested this? you know, the pushon holder does not need an adapter since this holder goes over the front part of the lens and the filter goes into the holder. this way a filter will be just outside in front of the front element of the lens...

what about the 28 mm lens?

jerome_m

Quote from: Buddy on July 18, 2015, 08:51:19 PMHave you actually tested this?

I have not tested filters on the HCD24. I just pointed out that it comes with a filter adapter.

Quoteyou know, the pushon holder does not need an adapter since this holder goes over the front part of the lens and the filter goes into the holder. this way a filter will be just outside in front of the front element of the lens...

I had a closer look at the push-on holder.

The problem with the 24 and 28mm lenses (and other H lenses) is that the exterior of the lens barrel is not a flush cylinder. There is an external bayonet for mounting the lens shade (or, for the 24mm, the filter adapter). That may get in the way of the push-on holder grip system, depending on its construction.

If the Lee system holds on the lens, it probably works, if you can push it back enough so that the filter is flush with the lens and you may have to use the holder horizontally so that the filter slides are top and bottom.

Quotewhat about the 28 mm lens?

The 28mm lens takes 95mm filters. No real problem with it. Just use slim 95mm filters.

If I may ask: what kind of filters do you want to use on lenses that wide?

Buddy

ND and ND grads and eventually a polarizer

jerome_m

NDs: the strong NDs for very long exposure times (e.g. the big stopper) are dependent on ray angles, so I don't think they would work on very wide angle lenses (I haven't tried).

Polarizers are relatively thick as filters. For the 24mm, Hasselblad suggests to use the larger thread size on the adapter for polarizing filters.

paulgrundy

The Sinar 125mm / 5 inch filter system works on the 24 & 28 and pretty much any lens with the correct adaptor ring.
Downside is the ND filters, both standard and grads, have massive magenta casts.
Sinar made a PL polarizer for this system. I no longer own one but my guess is that because you needed to use the double filter holder it would vignette on these lenses.
Hi-tech made a range of 5" filters that will also fit.

I guess ebay is the place to find this stuff these days. (or my attic)

Paul
Paul Grundy

Buddy

my hasselblad dealer told me that for the hcd 28mm f4 lens it will not vignette with the normal lee holder using the regular 95mm adapter, even with 2 filters in use. He also told me that best option at this time is to use the lee filter holder but the filters from Formatt Hitech Firecrest versions.

Haven't concluded yet what to invest.

Is the 28mm hcd f4 lens a good lens for landscapes etc.? Feedback welcome!

Miller

Your dealer might be right for your situation. I seem to have read that you shoot an H5D40, which has a 33x44 mm sensor.
I do experience vignetting on a 36x48 mm sensor with the 28 and the standard Lee filter holder.
In my opinion, the 28 is a great lens for landscapes. As there is a small crop factor, you will loose some of the wide angle effect. If that is a problem, there is the 24 mm to consider.
Try to lend both lenses from your dealer?

jerome_m

The 28mm is faster and can be bought used relatively easily, which makes it much cheaper. Either one is optically excellent, for landscape or anything else.