Best body to go with my CFV 39

Previous topic - Next topic

kuau

I just purchased a  CFV 39 back and having a hard time deciding on what platform to use it on.
I primarily shoot outdoors, no studio stuff. I guess my options are a 503CW, 501CM or a 203FE modified digital.
I currently have a 50/4 F and 150/4 F lens, so of course I should be looking at a 203FE.
Though I am not sure if I should invest in the 200 series at this point. They are quite a bit of more money the s 503/501

In terms of usability does the back work better with the 500 series or 200 series? Or is it about the same.
I was reading that when using a 500 body, to do longer exposures one needs to use a sync cable not sure if this is also the case with the 203FE.
My other concern is vibration. With MLU on both systems, in general which body has more vibration or are they both about the same.

Thanks

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

I am a little confused about the lenses you already have, are they CF or F lenses, (F lenses would be f2.8). If they are CF lenses as I suspect then there is no optical advantage in using the 203. The mirror damping of the 501C and 503CW may be slightly better than the 203 but there are more important features to consider in my opinion. The 503CW with winder would give you more tethering options but as you are not studio based this may not be a factor for you.
I don't recall that it is necessary to use a sync cable with a CFV back but don't take my word for it, check the manual, downloabable on the Hasselblad website.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

desertdiver

Hi Steve,

I do share Douglas' confusion about the lenses. According to the numbers given, I assume you're talking about Cxx lenses. And in this case you have of course the opportunity to go the 2xx or 5xx route. Having used 500 series and 200 (and 2000) series bodies and having sold off all my V-System bits a while back I did return to a 503CW when I got my CFV back which was originally bought for my Linhof Techno as some kind of back-up. Besides I could not resist to get back into the V-System again after selling everything regrettably.

Combined with the winder this combo can even be triggered from a computer with Phocus software and by the IR remote which I use very often. Furthermore this combo works reliably well without any faults like timing issues you can hear/read about from time to time. No sync cables are needed for this combo.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
Udo

kuau

Yep, I made a mistake my 2 lenses are both 2.8 the 50 and 150 and they are for sure "F" lenses, no leaf shutter in them.
I guess the best way to ask my question is more in regards to shooting the 150 and then maybe the 250/4 F.
Even though shooting on a tripod with MLU at ISO 50-100 my shutter speed is going to be pretty slow shooting outdoors only.
So I am worried about shutter vibration / shock on the longer glass

I can't see myself ever shooting over 1/500 a second in any situation hence my question would I be better served going with a 501/503 even though I will have to purchase CF/CFE/CFI glass or will the 203FE be ok.

NickT

I can't speak to the 203 but the 503CW is a big improvement over the 501 IMO. Really loved the balance of that camera.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jeff.grant@pobox.com

and you can put the winder on the 503. Hand cranking a digital back just isn't natural.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com