buying advice needed: used H4D-50 VS new H5D-40

Previous topic - Next topic

raffa

hi,
I'm about to decide my investment in the next few days.
let's say that the price is very close between a used H4D-50 and a brand new H5D-40 (in promotion), what would you get?

I worked with the H4D-50 before and I love it so I could blindly buy it, but then having a new H5D is another story (in terms of economic investments, financing, reselling value in the future, etc.)
also, I come from a 36mp Nikon D800 so I'd like to make the "jump" to the 50mp, it makes more sense than to the 40 maybe? (I know all the other differences regarding a MF system, but I'm just talking pixels in this case)
my main work is food/products/corporate.

what would you suggest?
and what would you consider a fair price for a used H4D-50 with 28k shutter count, with 2 batteries + 2 chargers + one extension tube?
thank you for you feedback.

Greg

If you can live with the crop sensor, then go for the 40.

Greg

desertdiver

Raffa,

my spontaneous answer is: go for the H5D40.

Owning both cameras I have to admit that the H4D50 hasn't been used since I got the H5D40. I can only speak for myself of course, but handling of the H5D is so much more convenient. And there is still a gap to the D800(E)....

Good luck with your decision.

Udo

raffa

Quote from: desertdiver on February 09, 2015, 05:32:54 PM
handling of the H5D is so much more convenient.

thanks Udo,
could you please elaborate what you said? why are you preferring the H5D? from what I read on the website and tech specs, there aren't so many improvements over the previous generation.
am I wrong?

desertdiver

Raffa,

here are the changes/improvements:

1) the displays are better readable
2) the CF card door has been slim lined and does now lock in its closed position, plus there is a sealing
3) the fire wire socket's design has been modified in a way that the cable is now locked when plugged in. The cable connecter's design has changed accordingly. Additionally its shape
     has been changed from straight to an elbow (rectangular) shape
4) zooming (100%, i.e. pixel level) into a picture on the rear display is now just a push of a button and the curser can be moved up/down and left/right by the thumb wheels on the hand
    grip
5) the histogram can now be displayed as RGB besides the usual composite type
6) if you plan to use the back on a view or tech camera, there are now sockets in the back's bottom plate which allow to connect a battery holder/adapter
7) you can choose to have print ready JPG's with a quarter resolution
8) in case your computer does not deliver enough power for back via the connected fire wire you can choose in the back's menu to power the back from the camera's battery

Regards,
Udo

raffa

thank you!
but some of the features I believe are available also on the H4D with the latest firmware, am I correct? (like the 100% zoom, etc.)

desertdiver

Quote from: raffa on February 10, 2015, 12:19:13 AM
thank you!
but some of the features I believe are available also on the H4D with the latest firmware, am I correct? (like the 100% zoom, etc.)

Principally yes, but it doesn't work that smooth. At least for me.

raffa

raffa

OK, next question is:
how about comparing a H3DII-50 with the H4D-50? A reseller told me that for still life works there's little difference.
what are your thoughts? of course it's very cheaper because it's older, but what are the differences with the H4D?
thanks again guys

jerome_m

Having used the H3DII-50 and H4D-50, the only valuable difference I found between them is that the AF is more consistent on the H4D-50 (even when not considering true focus). The H4D can zoom to 100% with one button press (but the implementation makes the feature of little use) and also has a better screen (which makes very little difference to my eyes) and a built-in electronic level (which I found impossible to calibrate). It also boots a bit faster.

Quality wise, they are absolutely identical (when focus is correct).

In short: they are very similar, but the H4D-50 has a better AF.

Paul Claesson

Raffa,

I will add a few items to Udo's H5D list.
Udo, Thank you.

• True Focus II provides unique, accurate focus and Immediate Focus Confirm
• Camera Configurator in Phocus, allows user to create profiles in Phocus and upload to H5D
• Full access to camera information and image preview on rear in tethered mode
• Improved weather sealing
• New sensor unit safety lock
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA
Former Hasselblad Employee

raffa

bdp

As an H5D owner I think the tethering speed is slower than the H4 series (time for image to appear on screen) and there is no ability to activate the spirit level on the back when tethered (like the H4 can).

So they went backwards with 2 things with the H5.

Sorry to sound negative but these things are perplexing and slightly annoying differences and you should be aware of them if they matter to you. I hoped firmware updates might address them but at the time of writing this the differences remain and the H5 has been around for a while now....

However I would still go for the H5D-40 over the H4D-50 because of one more stop of sensitivity, better resale and all the other things people have mentioned.

Ben