Macro comparison between HC 120 and HC 120-II

Previous topic - Next topic

raffa

jerome_m

raffa

I also have the 150mm, I was wondering if it's a good idea selling it since I'll have the 120mm macro.
I don't use it so much after all, and I fear I can't justify it anymore since the difference from 120 to 150mm is not so much.
opinions? what do you guys think?

Stonemonkey

Jerome_M

Have you noticed that after F/18 the image starts to get a bit softer on the 120 when using in macro? I had that experience on a rented lens, but between 11-16 everything was very sharp.

Brian R.

Buddy

Quote from: raffa on March 04, 2016, 05:38:58 AM
I also have the 150mm, I was wondering if it's a good idea selling it since I'll have the 120mm macro.
I don't use it so much after all, and I fear I can't justify it anymore since the difference from 120 to 150mm is not so much.
opinions? what do you guys think?
I have both of them. But since I have the 150 I only use this one for portraits anymore. the 150 is way sharper and lighter as well.and incredible bokeh at f/3.2.

jerome_m

Quote from: Stonemonkey on April 29, 2016, 07:42:06 AMHave you noticed that after F/18 the image starts to get a bit softer on the 120 when using in macro?

Yes, of course. This is the effect of diffraction. All lenses do that.

NickT

The fall off in sharpness when stopping down can be quite sudden, worth testing!
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Stonemonkey

Jerome_m

Yes that is true, but not at F/18 and not as apparently. In fact in regards to simpler lenses such as those used in large format cameras, this may not occur until F/32.

jerome_m

Quote from: Stonemonkey on April 30, 2016, 03:17:37 AM
Yes that is true, but not at F/18 and not as apparently. In fact in regards to simpler lenses such as those used in large format cameras, this may not occur until F/32.
a
When one peeps at pixels, the first effects of diffraction can be noted at f/8-f/11 on 6 µm pixels, which is what our cameras have, so quite noticeable at f/18. On large format cameras, the effect will only be noted at very small aperture, because of the larger negative.

This being said, maybe your diaphragm is malfunctioning (e.g. stuck blade closing more than it should at f/18...). Just have a look at it from the lens front.