Hasselblad repair services

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Méndez

Hi all
I know that I only write letters to this forum when I have or find problems  ::) but lately I've had some problems with the service repairs with my cameras (2). As this is a wish list, I'm writing this letter so these problems I've found on this service doestn't repeat again.

At June this year I found myself in the most strange situation ast I had none of my Hasselblad cameras working as they both came down. My H1D 22 was at repair service and the H3D39 broke down when I was abroard in Morroco. The job had to be done with a Nikon I had with me to end the job, (but the customer wasn't very happy). I didn't know what to do, or laugh  ;D or be very angry >:(. When I arrive to Spain I sent the H3D to be repaired and I received the H1D. The H1D was handled by Hasselblad, but one of the problems I reclaimed was not arranged, as it has problems when it's connected to a Mac with 800 firewire port. The only way I could use the camera is with an old Mac with a 400 Firewire port I had kept. So I was going to resend H1D to Hasselblad when I receive the H3D. At september I received the H3D. It was manipulated and arrange until an hour latter it started with the same failure as it was sent before. My opinion is that they arrnged the camera but didn't bother to find what cuased the problem. Now it's back to service again, hoping it will be arrange. Even so, in the last year, both cameras have been sent to be repaired before, coming back and having problems no longger than 4 - 5 months. I've been thinking about buying the H4D 60 but I'm not sure of doing it, as when the cameras start failing it seems it goes on and on. I don't know if any one else has had this situation, but if there are any more it would be good to know if Hasselblad is relaible on it's post-service.
Kind regards

Greg

There have been problems reported that have been traced to the firewire port on MacBook Pros, because the newer MacBook Pros do not have enough power.  The older MacBook Pros did have enough power, and that may be why your older one worked.  The work around was to have a powered firewire cable to bring the power up to the needed amount to work properly.  So it may be that the camera is perfectly fine, and power might be the problem.  Currently I have a H3D22 and a H4D60.  I hate to say this, because I do not want to have problems tomorrow, but I have had no problems to date.  The 60 is over a year old and the 22 is far older.  Now, I am not a heavy user so my experience may not match your usage.

Greg

Roger Méndez

Thanks Greg for your coments.

I didn't know about the Macbook problems about not having enough power on the port, but I have the same problem with my Mac pro, of 1 year old. Do you know if there is any problem with their ports aswell?- I sent my MacBook Pro yo be checked and they found no problem. I would like to mention that there was no problem with the H3D connected on both computers.

Thanks for giving me your experience about the H4D60

Roger

Dustbak

The MacPro has similar issues. Especially the front side firewire port can be fairly unstable. Always use the backside port. There has been a firmware release that greatly diminishes the firewire issues. If you have not installed this firmware I suggest you do this too.

Besides that I believe it is good policy to use a powered FW repeater anyway with the MacPro. I assume you use it in studio so that should not give a problem.

I use a CF39MS as well as the H4D60. The 39MS still can be a bit unstable on the firewire. The 60 is rock solid. My only issues with the 60 I have been experiencing lately are due to a cable that is getting old (people are always stepping on it).

Roger Méndez

Thanks Dustbak

I'll follow your advices