Hyperfocal distances for HC Lenses?

Previous topic - Next topic

NickT

That's a great idea for a custom function for Landscapers Keith.. Nice one!
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Henry

Excellent idea, Keith - I'd like that too! I wonder if we'll get a change to the firmware for this as we did for the extended shutter time, but it will take more work given the sensors, lens, apertures etc....

Henry

landscapefreak

The DOFMaster app on my iPhone and a Disto 5 have become trusted tools in my camera backpack.  If controlling DOF in the field is critical, you might want to look at this or a similar combination.

meshuggener

just a bump for this thread with this tool "BARNACK"
http://www.stegmann.dk/mikkel/barnack/
you can download it for free and there is the exact circle of confusion for H3D-39, 22, 31 and H4D-60.

:)
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

Hassilistic

Hi, I know this is an old topic, but in the interest of sharing, I have a couple of cheat sheets I pre-prepared for myself for this particular sensor size and lenses.  This shows the distance at every f-Stop usable or otherwise, with h/2 being the closest distance still in focus.

hope someone finds it as useful as I did.
Cheers,

jerome_m

The classical formulas for hyperfocal distance and depth of field are based on the assumption of a relatively small "standard print" (or, what is equivalent, bigger prints observed from further away). In practice, digital MF cameras are often used to make much bigger prints which are not observed from far away and the formulas do not work very well.

Hassilistic

Hi Jerome,  I use these for a Max print dimension of 40 inch at a viewing distance of 1m.  I personally prefer though 2A0 at 5m away, but it all comes down to the client.

What sought of print size did you have in mind?

jerome_m

40" viewed at 1m is indeed the "much bigger" print size I was thinking about.

I did not mean to comment on your formulas, but to point out that the classical, commonly found formulas assume a relatively small print size. I corrected my post accordingly.