Your Dream Hasselblad system

Previous topic - Next topic

sighsmail

Fashion Full Time

Just read a post by PH and he is right on the money. If only Hasselblad had the build quality and reliability of Nikon pro cameras
life would be a lot simpler for us. i.e take the ~Hassy on location shoots.

Focus points: More focus points would be a huge plus.

Alastair Bird

Full-tim commercial / advertising shooter.

My needs are simple, I think - like being able to turn on the LCD when you're shooting tethered - so when you're at the camera and there are a dozen people crowded around the laptop and you can't see it, you can tell if you're at least clipping your highlights.

And being able to run the camera only from the batteries, no matter where it is plugged in - as in to NOT use the FW power as camera power - it makes a laptop battery last longer and, I think, makes for a better connection.

The ability to shoot to the card as well as to a computer, for an instant backup.

A super light-weight version of Phocus, for those of us with 2007-era MacBook Pros and older machines - possibly a capture only program, with minimal adjustments, but super-fast so you can check focus and just get the images on the computer.  Wait, what I'm asking for, really, is a re-skinned Flexcolor, come to think of it...

And the complicated things - miuti-point AF, vertical grip, weather sealing, more rugged, 2 CF or even 2 SD card slots...;

Monty Rakusen

Full time professional corporate / industry / scientific  - often in difficult conditions.

MPX:  H4D50 I don't need any more...don't come out with an 80 for gods sake! Its getting ridiculous.

LCD: This is not important to me but a plug in screen from the FW could be an amazing tool.NO don't do it..concentrate on what you have at the moment and get it to work properly!

Battery life: I don't have a problem with this, I rarely shoot more than 400 frames a day. Maybe a sticker with instructions how to recalibrate...I can see the illustration now!

Phocus Features: Make it work properly!! Make it light! Make it stable. Make a light version that will work on any computer. Never mind about new features just make it reliable. More accurate in depth management of colour.

3rd Party Software: This is of no interest to me unless you can write a plug in for Photoshop but NO don't do it..concentrate on what you have at the moment and get it to work properly!

New Lenses: NO don't do it..concentrate on what you have at the moment and get it to work properly!

Other Accessories: 45 or degree prism that rotates like the old 6008 prisms, with metering and of course it could rotate upwards a little so you'd not need the DANGEROUS (fire risk) WLF and useless with no metering. NO don't do it..concentrate on what you have at the moment and get it to work properly!

Tethering Solution: ..concentrate on what you have at the moment and get it to work properly! The Apple problem needs a resolution, this is a high priority. Also why JUST FW? The FW port in the camera is the main source of faults couldn't they design something better. FW 800 has few benefits over 400 and 400 is more robust and better designed for plugging and unplugging. What about a dongle or converter that would clip into the port and then you could plug into that, when that fails you just get a replacement...same at the MBP end. This would make the system more robust.

Speciality solutions: I don't have a requirement for this. The kit is pretty much of a speciality as it is and risking repeating myself....NO don't do it..concentrate on what you have at the moment and get it to work properly!

Frame Rates: I'm sure fashion photographers would love faster frame rates but this is a big technical problem and I'm not sure you buy a Hasselblad for the frame rate.

ISO: Yes I desperately need better higher ISO. My art director is tearing his hair out at the way I have to work. He's desperate to get me to take that camera off the tripod and be more fluid. I originally did not buy into MF to do this and the quality of my work is very much to do with the poise and calculated slowness that comes with the format. Never the less an acceptable 800ISO will become very important in the future.

Imagine an advert that says ' Probably the world's most reliable camera'. Thats where Hasselblad needs to go.

NickT

Hi Guys
Just wanted to say thanks for the fantastic replies! Please keep them coming. Some of the things requested are downright impossible, and some of the problems reported are solvable but that's a subject for another thread, I'll try and address any areas I can help with when I get some time, right now I have a bunch of taps to shoot.
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jimgolden

most all of the above PLUS a vertical grip - pretty please...

1. phocus - make it more stable before adding anything else.
2. screen
3. grip
4. no more MPxs - PLEASE!

rsmphoto

Absolutely need a faster & more reliable tethering option. Apple seems to be headed to Intel's Light Peak. Which is said to be much faster than FW & USB 3.0 "...carrying data at 10 gigabits per second in both directions simultaneously."  And can run multiple protocols at the same time on one cable. This seems to be the future of high speed peripheral connectivity....and/or maybe Wireless Gigabit (7gps).

KeithL

Quote from: NickT on December 15, 2010, 07:54:21 AM
Some of the things requested are downright impossible...

Well, you did say "Dream Hasselblad"!

Alex Maxim

I hope Hassleblad will not trash all our dreams :)

David Grover

Quote from: Monty Rakusen on December 15, 2010, 07:30:56 AM
Tethering Solution: ..concentrate on what you have at the moment and get it to work properly! The Apple problem needs a resolution, this is a high priority. Also why JUST FW? The FW port in the camera is the main source of faults couldn't they design something better. FW 800 has few benefits over 400 and 400 is more robust and better designed for plugging and unplugging. What about a dongle or converter that would clip into the port and then you could plug into that, when that fails you just get a replacement...same at the MBP end. This would make the system more robust.

Just a quick note from me to say, the recent firmware / Phocus updates we hope have solved this issue once and for all.

Firmware has ben delivered for 40/50/60, 22/31/39 is on the way.

D

Dick Roadnight

A decent wide-angle zoom, that does not vignette the 60Mpx sensor.
H4D-60, 50-100mm, 300mm, CF, Flexbody, P3

JAT

When can we expect a full frame (56x56 mm) sensor for the V-system. Or in other words a square full frame CFV.

David Grover

Quote from: JAT on December 16, 2010, 02:29:06 AM
When can we expect a full frame (56x56 mm) sensor for the V-system. Or in other words a square full frame CFV.

I am afraid, not in anybody's lifetime - seriously.

Monty Rakusen

So we'll not need the Lindy cable anymore? And it won't lose the camera from time to time?
Monty

Quote from: David Grover on December 15, 2010, 10:34:47 PM

Just a quick note from me to say, the recent firmware / Phocus updates we hope have solved this issue once and for all.

D

David Grover

Quote from: Monty Rakusen on December 16, 2010, 11:10:58 AM
So we'll not need the Lindy cable anymore? And it won't lose the camera from time to time?
Monty

Quote from: David Grover on December 15, 2010, 10:34:47 PM

D

Exactly. 

Monty Rakusen

David

You are a man of few words!

This is excellent news and I look forward to todays shoot.
I do think you might make a bit more PR from this though.....go on, you know you want to!

M