Possibility to work more on image using Phocus

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Méndez

If there is something that I've always wondered is Hasselblad had ever thought giving more possibilties for Hassy users to work on there images with Phocus and not on any other image programs such as Lightroom, Capture one or Aperture. What I mean is that sometimes, after exporting an image from Phocus, you have to work on these other programs or on photoshop to bring up lights in one zone of the photo, saturate or change a blue on one zone and not all, etc.... I think it would be a good idea to introduce these tools into Phocus so there is no need to use other programs. Even the results should improve as we are working on Hasselblad Raw and there would be less manipulation through all other programs.......

fotografz

Roger, I think this is a difficult request because it would require a full set of post tools, and sophisticated layering abilities, etc. to even come close to the powerful abilities of PS or even Lightroom3.2 that have taken years, even decades to refine.

The use of Phocus for me tends to be more job specific ... event work done with the H4D/40 usually goes straight to LR3.2 with a few key images being processed in Phocus where needed. Obviously, all tethered studio work & portraits are direct Phocus territory, as are critical color shots ... and my 39MS studio back HAS to be shot using Phocus.

The secret of LR3.2 is that it acts a one stop portal to an array of post tools, presets, direct access to Photoshop and 3rd party programs like Nik Define2, etc ... without ever leaving LR. When saved, the processed or retouched image returns to the LR library.

IMO, if that same ability were available in Phocus ... meaning that you could select an image and open it in PS do work and when done it goes back into the Phocus browser along side the RAW file ... including layered files, that would be more helpful than a limited set of post tools. Again, this would be dependent on the job at hand.

The other semi-helpful possibility would be if the Phocus files could be exported as DNGs that carry the corrections done in Phocus ... especially lens DAC and color corrections. I don't know if that is even possible.

Lastly, it was great when the Hassey files could finally be sent directly to LR ... but what is missing are all the preset DAC lens corrections and color profiles. If that DAC data and a bunch of Hassey profiles could be added to LR it would significantly improve many user's experiences with the H products. Hasselblad seems to be trying to garner the DSLR crowd with offerings like the H4D/31 at an attractive price ... but these folks are often LR users and struggle with the complexity of having to use 2, 3 or more additional post probrams to complete the tasks.

-Marc

Dick Roadnight

Some things are best done on the raw files,,, so you can process different versions of the file in phocus for different zones, etc, and export them as one layered Photoshop file, so you can then mask the layers in Photoshop.
H4D-60, 50-100mm, 300mm, CF, Flexbody, P3

Roger Méndez

Thanks Dick, the work flow you mention, is one of the ways I use depending the results I wish for my images  ;), but wouldn't it be better to process one version? and forget PS??
Thanks Marc, I know that it would take a long time to get these improvements on Phocus  :)
But as we are posting on a wish list, and a wish is what I expressed. It might be mad my wish, but you never know if Phocus, one day, would have these tools included. For Phocus 2,6 there will be a spot removal, which will help us not to use spot removals on photoshop, LR3 etc..... and colours are better with phocus than LR3 for Hasselblad cameras.

About DAC corrections, that doesn'nt surprise me. I have that problem with my H1D-22 even with Phocus and Flexcolor. Impossible to read information of lens used, but can read aperture and shutter speed  ???  Every body knows that aperture and shutter are on the lens :D

Thanks to both

Roger

Greg

Roger,

You are absolutely right about the colors being better from Phocus.  The dust removal tool is such an improvment, that I am very excited about getting just that option. 

My wish is that I could sometimes print from Phocus, because when I bring up the image in PS4 it somehow loses some of the "umph" it had in Phocus, if you know what I mean.  I know you can print from Phocus, but on my Epson 7880 the options in the print dialog box all come X'ed out.  If someone could guide me through that mess, I would appreciate it, but I don't think there is a way.

Greg

KeithL

Quote from: Greg on November 02, 2010, 07:47:29 AM
My wish is that I could sometimes print from Phocus, because when I bring up the image in PS4 it somehow loses some of the "umph" it had in Phocus, if you know what I mean.

Greg, I can't understand why this should be. If I export as a tif and open in Photoshop I can't see any difference between the images. Have you checked that the working space in Photoshop is set correctly?

Alex Maxim

It's just because of the background color in Phocus. The images appear to be brighter and more colorful. Try setting the same background color in Photoshop and you'll see the difference. It's better to work in neutral gray if you want consistent results, though. I wish we had custom color settings for background in Phocus.

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Greg

Good call Alex.  That must be it, but I would have never thought of that.  Maybe that is why the six thumbnail photos look so good in HOC.

Greg

Alex Maxim

Quote from: NickT on November 02, 2010, 09:40:11 AM
Alex great idea, I'll pass it on.

Thank you for passing it on, Nick. I hope it will be included.
Alex