Martin

some shots with the 35mm last winter
f8; 1/800 sec

meshuggener

www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

Elmardam

I just got a h3d2 31 with the 80mm.

Now, i am thinking of getting this lens or the 50mm. (2nd hand).

Can anyone tell me what the equiv (+-) of this 35mm (with the h3d2 31 (crop 1.3)) lens is with 35mm fullframe DSLR's?
I know.. I have to try them both. But for now i'd like to know where to aim my arrows on ;) (the 1.3 crop makes it difficult)

thanks!
photography is art.

desertdiver

Hello Elmar,

the diagonal of the 31 Mpix back is square root of (sqr33 + sqr44)mm = 55mm. The diagonal of the 35 format is 43mm, so the HC35 corresponds to (35mm x 43mm)/55mm = 28mm (rounded).

These are rounded results, I don't have a calculator at hand right now. So please feel free to counter check.

Regards,
Udo

Elmardam

photography is art.

Piotr Jaxa

Model: Hasselblad H4D-40
Shutter Speed: 1/60 second
Aperture: F 8
Focal Length: HC 3.5/35 mm
ISO Speed: 100
CPO filter
2 pictures stitched together
Switzerland
Photographer & cinematographer

Elmardam

I rented this one a couple of times. And decided to get my own. (Thanks Peter)

Here are some shots i took recently with it.
I rented 2 different samples. The second one had some serious front focus issues. (is this common with this lens?)

WIP:
photography is art.

hamishhamilton

Hi guys,

I have a HC 35mm that I bought second hand for my H4D60. I find the center of frame sharp at most apertures, but anything slightly off center seems surprisingly soft. I understand that this is to be expected, to an extent, but it just seems to be very soft. Opinions from people that use this lens are appreciated.

I have attached a crop of the full image, center frame and slightly frame right.

Thanks,

Hamish

hamishhamilton

Does anyone else with the lens care to offer an opinion? Thanks.

Martin

at what aperture did u shoot?

hamishhamilton

Hi Martin,
This shot is at f6.3
I have the same result at f16 and slightly worse wide open.
The lens is extremely sharp in the centre. I have just not shot a wide angle with such a dramatic softness so far from the corners.
I would be happy to attach a similar landscape at f16 when I get back to my other computer if that would help.
Cheers...

rsmphoto

Here's the MTF chart for the lens if you haven't checked it out.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/1f9ad1ce-5a29-49cc-97c5-244a70f5d446-HC35.pdf

This may explain what you're seeing. Might be interesting retesting, shooting wide open @ ƒ3.5, then at ƒ/8 and comparing to see if your results look similar to what the chart displays.  I would think an ƒ/16 test might not be helpful given issues of diffraction.

My experience with this lens is that it's not their best, it's ok, but not like the 28 (see MTF for 28 and others here, http://www.hasselblad.com/media/1799461/hc_lens_book_v2.pdf)

Actually, I'm hoping they release a new, improved version of this lens similar to the 50II.  It would be most welcome.

Best,

Richard

hamishhamilton

Thanks so much Richard.
I need to brush up on reading the MTF charts:)
I have shot f8 in a test and experienced similar softness issues. It seems like all are at infinity. I may have another go. Hasselblad has offered to check the lens for errors and I am most likely just going to send it in. Just wanted to see if other people who own the lens have had similar results. If so, then I would probably let the lens go and possibly replace with the 28mm.
From what I have read others would also appreciate an updated version of the 35mm.
Cheers...