H System Battery reset

Previous topic - Next topic

NickT

Here's how to reset an H battery if it is not holding a charge or not lasting as long as it should.
Note this works with the newer 7.2 volt batteries and not the older (9.6 v from memory) ones.

First Charge the battery fully, preferably overnight.
Then grab an H body with no battery on it and press and hold the "menu" and "flash" buttons, and while holding them down push the battery up onto the handgrip. You should then here a rapid series of beeps indicating the PMU on the battery has been reset. Now put the battery back on charge and it should improve performance.
On a side note new batteries will have a low initial capacity, cycle them through charge discharge (on the camera) a few times to get full capacity.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Jevo

Hi Nick,

This Jan from The Netherlands. One question. How long must I charge the battery after I have reset and put him back on the charge.
Thanks

NickT

I would give it 12 hours after a reset.
Nick-T

KristofferSkj

THANK YOU!

I have had this problem with both of my batteries... Lasts tops 75 images!

winky

this really works!  thank you, nick.  i couldn't get either of my batteries to hold a charge (one said 0%, the other 5% and they wouldn't budge from there.)  but resetting them, as you noted, worked.  do you know what the problem could have been in the first place.  pretty new camera and batteries.  could it be that i was over charging them?  is it terrible to leave them on a charge for too long.  anyway, thanks so much for this tip!!

pchong

slightly question...on batteries...my battery doesn't go to 100%...even with this reset, and charging overnight...more than 18 hours, it shows 95%. It holds this charge well, though, and I can't really complain.

NickT

Quote from: winky on July 04, 2010, 02:21:20 PM
could it be that i was over charging them?  is it terrible to leave them on a charge for too long.  anyway, thanks so much for this tip!!

I don't think so, the charger reverts to trickle charger once they are fully charged. I don't know why a battery would show a maximum of 95%, one of mine does it and my laptop only ever goes to 98%, I wouldn't worry about it!

storm

I have 3 batteries. One you can reset and it beeps. The other 2 will not beep. Help please

NickT

storm

David Grover

Take of lens and viewfinder when you try the reset.

storm

Hi David

That worked. Thank you

Chris

kiwimage

Why Die Wondering?

mauro risch

I forgot to reset the batteries(4) for more than a year.
They were all showing crazy percentage: 5%, 25%, 40% and 95%. After 12hrs+ recharging.
Did the reset trick with all of them and the result is; I'll not have to buy a new set of 7.2V batteries for now.
Great having the Hasselpedia to search for here at the Forum.
Time to sleep now.
Cheers
Mauro
www.maurorisch.com
    0430 383 588

studiophoto1